5' x 8' DIY Weld-Together Teardrop Trailer Frame Kit
More about this 5′ x 8′ DIY teardrop trailer frame kit
“When we made our first trailer frame in 2007, it was surprising how much work the trailer frame was to fabricate and I wished I had a kit. We fussed over getting it square for a long time and forgot to drill all of the holes we needed. It was the first trailer we’d made after all.
We made this trailer frame kit for the DIY builder, like me. The big difference is that this set of parts is laser cut for precision and the plans are tested in commercial teardrop trailer production. Not only does this kit save you time, stress, and money but it will be a really solid foundation for your little camp trailer.”
-Mark (Founder at Overland Trailer)
How and Where is this kit Manufactured?
Most parts are cut by a laser CNC machine for clean edges, perfect joints, and accurate hole placement.
ALL of the steel parts are pre-fabricated for welding and pre-drilled to fit the recommended wiring harness.
This kit is Made in North Idaho, USA
The Frame Kit Features
What’s in the Kit?
- A 5,000 lb trailer coupler
- 2 weld-on chain stay loops
- 5,000 lb trailer chains
- Splined Wheel Studs (x3)
- Lug Nuts (x3)
- Raw Steel Parts
- Trailer Side Rails (x2) – Predrilled for wiring, fenders, and body mounting. 1″ x 2″ x 3/16″ Channel
- Crossmembers (x2) – Predrilled for wiring. 1″ x 2″ x 3/16″ Channel Steel
- Trailer Frame Ends (x2) – 1″ x 2″ x 3/16″ Channel Steel
- Corner Gussets (x4) – Can be used as body mounts & optional stabilizer jack mounting. 6″ x 6″ x 3/16″ Steel
- Tongue Channel (x2) – Predrilled for wiring harness mounts. 1″ x 2″ x 3/16″ Channel
- Battery Tray components (x2) – 1″x1″ x 1/8″ Angle cut to fit inside the tongue
- Body Mounting Tabs (x4) – 2″ x 2″ x 1/8″ Angle
- Spare Tire Mount Parts
- Spare Tire Carrier Frame Mounts (x2) – 1″ x 2″ x 3/16″ Channel
- Spare Tire Mount Crossmember (1) – 1″ x 2″ x 3/16″ Channel
- Spare Tire Riser Channel (1) – 1″ x 2″ x 3/16″ Channel
- Spare Tire Mount Plate (1) – Pre-marked for 5 x 4.5 wheel bolt pattern.
- Spare Tire Angle
- DIY Teardrop Trailer Frame Plans and Guide for the kit
- 20+ pages how-to guide for welding up the trailer
- Recommended tool list
- Planning for Paint or Powder-coating finish guide.
- Linked Demonstration Videos
- Additional Linked Resources
How to Assemble This Kit?
This kit comes with a full builder’s manual that includes step by step instructions and links to instructional videos.
A hitch receiver are handy for mounting a bike rack, additional storage rack, or a recovery tow point. This is our most popular upgrade to our teardrop trailers. We recommend no more than 100 lbs be mounted to this hitch receiver.
How is the Trailer Frame Kit Packaged and Shipped?
The Basic Teardrop Trailer Frame Kit is packed in a wooden crate (130 lbs) and a second box for smaller parts (15 lbs).
All Trailer Frame Kits are shipped via FedEx or UPS Ground.
International shipments may be subject to import duties or additional fees.