How to Register Your DIY Teardrop Trailer in Arizona

If you are a resident of Arizona and you have built a DIY teardrop trailer, you may be wondering how to register it with the state. Teardrop trailers are small, lightweight, and aerodynamic trailers that can be towed by almost any vehicle. They offer a cozy and comfortable sleeping space, as well as a rear galley for cooking and storage.

Registering your DIY teardrop trailer in Arizona is not very difficult, but it does require some paperwork, fees, and inspections. In this article, we will walk you through the process of getting your trailer inspected, titled, and registered, as well as what you need to do to keep it current with the state. We will also provide you with some useful resources and tips along the way.

Key Takeaways

VIN ApplicationYou need to apply for a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) by filling out Form 46-8502 and paying $8 to the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT).
Trailer InspectionYou need to get your trailer inspected by the ADOT or a certified mechanic and receive a certificate of inspection.
Title and RegistrationYou need to submit the required documents and fees to your local Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) office and receive your title, registration, and plate.
RenewalYou need to renew your registration every year or every five years, depending on your option.

How to Apply for a VIN

A VIN is a unique 17-digit code that identifies your vehicle and provides information about its make, model, year, and features. A VIN is necessary for a homemade trailer, as it helps the state track and verify your trailer’s ownership, registration, and history.

To apply for a VIN, you need to fill out Form 46-8502, which you can download from the ADOT website or get from your local MVD office. The form will ask you for your personal information, trailer information, and a brief description of how you built your trailer. You will also need to attach proof of ownership, such as a bill of sale, a title, or a certificate of origin, for the major components of your trailer, such as the frame, axle, wheels, tires, and body.

The fee for the VIN application is $8, which you can pay by check or money order made payable to the ADOT. You can mail or submit the form, the fee, and the attachments to the ADOT. The address is:

Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division PO Box 2100 Phoenix AZ 85001-2100

How to Get Your Trailer Inspected

After you apply for a VIN, you will receive a letter from the ADOT with your assigned VIN and instructions on how to get your trailer inspected. The inspection is required to verify that your trailer meets the safety and roadworthiness standards of the state, as well as to confirm that your trailer matches the description and information on your application form.

To get your trailer inspected, you need to schedule an appointment with the ADOT by calling the number on your letter. You will need to bring your letter, your trailer, a photo ID, and a weight slip with you to the inspection. A weight slip is a document that shows the weight of your trailer, which you can get from a public scale or a weigh station.

The inspector will check your trailer for the following items:

  • Lights, reflectors, and electrical wiring
  • Brakes and brake lights
  • Tires and wheels
  • Safety chains and coupler
  • Fenders and mud flaps
  • License plate light and bracket

The inspector will also verify your VIN and measure your trailer dimensions. If your trailer passes the inspection, you will receive a certificate of inspection, which you will need for the next step.

How to Title and Register Your Trailer

Once you have your VIN and your certificate of inspection, you are ready to get an Arizona title and register your teardrop trailer. To do this, you need to visit your local MVD office and submit the following documents and fees:

Proof of ownershipA bill of sale, a title, or a certificate of origin for the major components of your trailer
Form 46-8502The VIN application form
Certificate of inspectionThe document that shows your trailer passed the inspection
Photo IDA driver’s license, a passport, or another valid form of identification
Weight slipA document that shows the weight of your trailer
Application for Title and RegistrationA form that you can download [here] or get from the MVD office
Sales taxVaries depending on the value of your trailer
Title fee$4
Registration feeVaries depending on the weight and type of your trailer
Plate fee$5 for a regular plate or $25 for a personalized plate

After you submit the documents and fees, you will receive your title, registration, and plate. You will need to attach the plate to the rear of your trailer and keep the registration in your vehicle.

How to Renew Your Trailer Registration

Once you have your trailer titled and registered, you need to renew your registration periodically. You have two options: annual or five-year. The annual option requires you to pay the registration fee every year, while the five-year option allows you to pay the fee once for five years. The five-year option is cheaper and more convenient, but it is only available for non-commercial trailers with a declared gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 10,000 lbs or less.

You can renew your registration online, by mail, or in person. You will need to provide your current registration, proof of insurance, and payment of the fee.

Register Your DIY Teardrop Trailer in Arizona: Contacts

Now you know how to register your new DIY Teardrop Trailer in Arizona!  Congrats.

Here are some useful DMV contacts for your reference:

Leave a Comment