How to Register your DIy Teardrop Trailer in Arkansas

How to Register Your DIY Teardrop Trailer in Arkansas

If you are a resident of Arkansas and you have built a DIY teardrop trailer, you may be wondering how to register it with the state.  Registering your DIY teardrop trailer in Arkansas is not very difficult, but it does require some paperwork, fees, and inspections. 

Key Takeaways

VIN ApplicationYou need to apply for a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) by filling out Form 10-381 and paying $10 to the Arkansas State Police (ASP).
Trailer InspectionYou need to get your trailer inspected by the ASP or a certified mechanic and receive a certificate of inspection.
Title and RegistrationYou need to submit the required documents and fees to your local Office of Motor Vehicle (OMV) and receive your title, registration, and plate.
RenewalYou need to renew your registration every year and pay the renewal fee.

How to Apply for a VIN

A VIN is a unique 17-digit code that identifies your vehicle and provides information about its make, model, year, and features. A VIN is necessary for a homemade trailer, as it helps the state track and verify your trailer’s ownership, registration, and history.

To apply for a VIN, you need to fill out Form 10-381, which you can download from the ASP website or get from your local ASP office. The form will ask you for your personal information, trailer information, and a brief description of how you built your trailer. You will also need to attach proof of ownership, such as a bill of sale, a title, or a certificate of origin, for the major components of your trailer, such as the frame, axle, wheels, tires, and body.

The fee for the VIN application is $10, which you can pay by check or money order made payable to the ASP. You can mail or submit the form, the fee, and the attachments to the ASP. The address is:

Arkansas State Police Regulatory Services Section One State Police Plaza Drive Little Rock, AR 72209

How to Get Your Trailer Inspected

After you apply for a VIN, you will receive a letter from the ASP with your assigned VIN and instructions on how to get your trailer inspected. The inspection is required to verify that your trailer meets the safety and roadworthiness standards of the state, as well as to confirm that your trailer matches the description and information on your application form.

To get your trailer inspected, you need to schedule an appointment with the ASP by calling the number on your letter. You will need to bring your letter, your trailer, a photo ID, and a weight slip with you to the inspection. A weight slip is a document that shows the weight of your trailer, which you can get from a public scale or a weigh station.

The inspector will check your trailer for the following items:

  • Lights, reflectors, and electrical wiring
  • Brakes and brake lights
  • Tires and wheels
  • Safety chains and coupler
  • Fenders and mud flaps
  • License plate light and bracket

The inspector will also verify your VIN and measure your trailer dimensions. If your trailer passes the inspection, you will receive a certificate of inspection, which you will need for the next step.

How to Title and Register Your Trailer

Once you have your VIN and your certificate of inspection, you are ready to title and register your trailer. To do this, you need to visit your local OMV and submit the following documents and fees:

Proof of ownershipA bill of sale, a title, or a certificate of origin for the major components of your trailer
Form 10-381The VIN application form
Certificate of inspectionThe document that shows your trailer passed the inspection
Photo IDA driver’s license, a passport, or another valid form of identification
Weight slipA document that shows the weight of your trailer
Application for Title and RegistrationGet the form from the OMV
Sales taxVaries depending on the value of your trailer
Title fee$10
Registration feeVaries depending on the weight and type of your trailer
Plate fee$3 for a regular plate or $25 for a personalized plate

After you submit the documents and fees, you will receive your title, registration, and plate. You will need to attach the plate to the rear of your trailer and keep the registration in your vehicle.

How to Renew Your Trailer Registration

Once you have your trailer titled and registered, you need to renew your registration every year and pay the renewal fee. The renewal fee varies depending on the weight and type of your trailer, but it is usually less than $20.

You can renew your registration online, by mail, or in person. You will need to provide your current registration, proof of insurance, and payment of the fee.

Register Your DIY Teardrop Trailer in Arkansas: Contacts

Now you know how to register your new DIY Teardrop Trailer in Arkansas.  Get out there and do some camping!

Here are some useful DMV contacts for your reference:

Leave a Comment